Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Law and Econ Update II -- Mostly Vice

Back from the trip, where Law and Econ was not a priority. I did manage to finish reading the (excellent) book about Friedrich Engels, Marx's General, by Tristram Hunt, as hoped, and did make some hard-copy revisions to Chapters 4 and 5 of the Law and Econ project.

Next week I have the vice symposium that sparked the Five Drafts project. So, once again, Law and Econ will take a back seat, though I do want to convert the hard-copy changes for Chapters 4 and 5 to e-format. For the vice symposium, I would like to read the five other papers that will be presented, as well as a book or two. The two books that I will commit (?) to reading are Legalising Drugs by Philip Bean (2010) and We Have Met the Enemy by Daniel Akst (2011). The Bean book takes a prohibitionist stance to drugs -- a stance I do not share -- so I am hoping that it will sharpen my thinking (change my mind??); the Akst book is about self-c0ntrol, a topic that is central to my vice work. The Akst book is significantly longer than the short Bean volume, but it is written in an engaging manner that should ease any pain from excessive reading. A third book, one that I am unlikely to get to before the symposium, alas, but hope to read soon, is This is Your Country on Drugs, by Ryan Grim (2010).

No comments:

Post a Comment